hair today, forgot tomorrow

Believe it...or not

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Avoiding Neighbours

 
Over the past six or so months, my relationship with my neighbours has improved. After a particularly rocky start to my life of living in a complex, which had me storming down to three different neighbours' flats in various states of attire unsuitable for public viewing, things calmed down. In fact, one might cautiously label our infrequent interactions 'politely uninterested'. Dat's da way I likes it, brother. 

When the one crew pitched up outside my door earlier this year to announce that they were engaged, and that they were having an impromptu party that night, I smiled and congratulated them, and felt all warm and fuzzy about being able to have a civil relationship with the woman who shrieked and drilled holes in her wall one, eventful morning at 7am. 

When the neighbour formerly referred to as Satan, showed up at my door to beg to use my extra parking space on occasion, offering that he now took care not to slam the hell out of his front door at 3am in mimicry of a grenade explosion, I agreed benevolently. 

And when I stormed down the stairs in my white terry gown (which gives me the appearance of a cube) buttoned up to my chin with clown buttons, in order to yell at the screeching children, I felt vindicated when I noticed the terror in their eyes. I felt sure these children would avoid the crazy lady upstairs for years to come. 

Not so. 

In fact, the little horrors are trying to befriend me. Twice last week the two girls – one eight years old and the other nine – accosted me as I returned from work and told me they wanted to come visit. Fortunately I was going out, so I said I couldn't. Then I made a fatal mistake … I asked them their names and what grades they were in. I EXPRESSED INTEREST!!!!!!!! One of them then asked if I'd be able to tell them apart, which I admitted would probably not be possible. 

Friday afternoon. Arrived home from work. No sighting of The Visitors. Breathed sigh of relief. Half an hour later…knock at the door. I am embarrassed to admit that I did not answer the door. I remained quiet until they went away. It reminded me too much of Andrea, who lived across the road from me when I was 10. She harassed my sister and me senseless when we moved into that house, to the extent that we would hide away from her when we saw her approaching the gate. Funny, we never spoke after that…. 

Why do these girls want to be my friend? Maybe I should let them in for a visit- they'll be bored stiff in 10 minutes: no DSTV, no Playstation, no garden. Hmmmm, maybe if I get them to fold my laundry they'll never come back.  

No, the risk is too high. Tell me how to get rid of them, people, please! Children terrify me.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:58 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hahahaha. Don't you know, the less you want them, the more you attract them? Good ol' Murphy.

     
  • At 12:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahah, yes darn kids, they all look the same.

    Two boys in my complex, I imagine around 9 or 10, hid among the cars and stalked me when I arrived home one afternoon. Thinking I couldn't see them of course. I saw them peeking up to see when I was coming. And when I arrived, they both yelled Booo! and ran away. It took a moment, but then I remembered to scream in surprise. The last I heard was "we gave her a fright, yisss!".

     
  • At 12:22 pm, Blogger K.M. said…

    So children are like cats, Glugster. Only less fun. And less calming. And less cute.


    Oi Vendetta...you know that these two boys are going to try the same trick over and over again now. Then again, you could blow up a large toy of theirs', saying you were just continuing the 'frighten the bejeebers out of one another' game.

     
  • At 12:58 pm, Blogger boldly benny said…

    *laughs* You are hilarious! I was in a similar predicament some time back with kids in the complex and although I felt like a child, I found not opening the door to be most effective – they eventually get tired of knocking every day and leave you alone! I can handle toddlers because you just need to give them a jiggle and they love you but when they get older they also terrify me – what do you say to them?

    Why is there always a needy kid in the neighbourhood? I remember my sisters and I often hiding from kids who always wanted to play. When we lived in an Afrikaans neighbourhood, my sister (who was about 8 at the time) always used opened the door about half a centimetre and just say, "Ons gaan uit!"

     
  • At 1:25 pm, Blogger K.M. said…

    HAHA, i like your sister's style. Your mentioning Afrikaans makes me think that I should have pretended not to understand any language they threw at me.

    Besides, I still maintain they want to come in to see what they can steal. I KNOW they'll fancy my Muriel's Wedding DVD.

     
  • At 2:52 pm, Blogger boldly benny said…

    OH MY WORD I WANT YOUR MURIEL'S WEDDING DVD. If a strange 'kid' comes poking around your complex, let her in and just hand over the DVD!

    As for the language thing - pure brilliance!

     
  • At 4:20 pm, Blogger Karin said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 4:25 pm, Blogger K.M. said…

    If you wear your hair in pigtails, smear some red lipstick on your cheeks, and carry a giant lollypop, I am quite sure I will mistake you for a kid, Benny...no worries.

     
  • At 11:30 pm, Blogger Louisa said…

    Resistance is futile! Mwahahaha...just let us know how much you end up charging for baby-sitting Don't Believe. ;-)

     
  • At 8:46 am, Blogger Jason Franks said…

    The only time one of my neighbours in my current place has ever knocked on my door, it was to warn me that they had a removalist van coming at 7:30am and I might be blocked in while it was there unless I parked my car in the street.

    None of my neighbours speak to me, it's awesome. It's just as well, too, since I never leave the house...

    -- JF

     
  • At 9:31 am, Blogger K.M. said…

    Crumbs, Louisa, I don't think any fee I would charge would be worth it. I think I need to perfect my scowl.

    Jase, clearly you have a more menacing demeanour that I do...you must teach me how.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter